Work in Washington, D.C. or Paris as a Monitoring & Evaluation Officer at World Bank
The candidate should demonstrate solid hands-on experience and a strong understanding of how to ensure the practical implications of research, data, and evidence.
Work in Washington, D.C. or Paris as a Monitoring & Evaluation Officer at World Bank
Are you a very passionate advocate for education? Do you want to make a difference in the lives of children? The Global Partnership for Education Secretariat (GPE) would like to hear from you.
About the GPE
GPE is a shared commitment to end the world’s learning crisis. It is the only global partnership and fund dedicated entirely to helping children in lower-income countries get a quality education, so they can unlock their potential and contribute to building a better world. GPE bring together governments, teachers, civil society, donors, United Nations agencies, development banks, businesses and private foundations to transform education systems so that every girl and boy can have hope, opportunity and agency.
A key pillar of GPE’s 2025 strategy is its Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning program. This program focuses on strategic monitoring, evaluation and learning for accountability, transparency, and aggregating results at the partnership level. An important aspect of this strategy also pertains to rapid and agile learning from lessons of implementation and ongoing monitoring to inform how we work and support strategic decisions through GPE’s governing bodies, including the Board and its Committees.
A professional with strong technical expertise is required to define and support several components of the MEL workprogram, including designing data systems and systematizing data on GPE processes and grants, analyzing data (GPE and external education data), leading sections of the GPE annual results report, developing additional analytic reports, based on GPE data, actively participating in knowledge dissemination and learning from evidence within the Secretariat and the Partnership, and contributing to GPE’s evaluation portfolio.
The position is staffed in the Results and Performance (R&P) team and reports to the R&P manager.
Duties And Accountabilities
The job comprises the major streams of work outlined below, with varying degrees of responsibility working with other members of the team. The incumbent will be expected to work flexibly across the streams of work, depending on the team’s work program for the year.
Designing data systems and systematizing GPE grant performance data. This work will involve ensuring that performance and monitoring data related to GPE grants are collected, coded, and stored, and analyzed systematically. The work entails collaborating with GPE data providers, including GPE’s Grant Operations, Country, and IT teams.
Analyzing grant and other education data. This stream of work will involve analyzing data (from GPE grants and other education sources) for the results report, ad hoc requests by donors and other stakeholders, and other analytic reports. The analysis will focus on understanding the performance of GPE’s grant portfolio, driven by questions related to strategic management and operational learning, and to support GPE regular use of monitoring data. The analysis will also feed into the evaluation portfolio to ensure coherence and realism in evaluation findings and recommendations. In addition, the work encompasses writing sections/chapters of the annual Results Report and preparing its dissemination and designing learning workshops.
Contributions to the evaluation portfolio. The stream of work will require engaging on the evaluation portfolio with the evaluation manager, including leading specific evaluations as well as supporting inputs to, management of, and reviews of the other ongoing evaluations, and supporting learning from evaluation evidence.
Contributing to the MEL strategic capability. This work will enable countries to strengthen their MEL systems with respect to Compacts, a major aspect of GPE’s operating model. The work will require working with the R&P lead on this work, contributing to its refinement and potentially managing one or more of the countries participating in the program.
All four streams of work will require close coordination and collaboration with members of the Results and Performance team as well as the Grant Operations and Country and Education Policy Secretariat teams. This includes, for example, conducting knowledge dissemination and learning workshops on data collection, analysis and reporting, including but not limited to the grant coding system, monitoring platforms, and analytic reports; follow up on grant data collection; and design of learning programs for the benefit of operational teams.
The position demands flexibility and a solid understanding of monitoring and evaluation in the context of development and partnership programs.
- Master’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience. The candidate should demonstrate solid hands-on experience and a strong understanding of how to ensure the practical implications of research, data, and evidence.
- 5 years of substantive experience monitoring, evaluation and related learning in development programs. Experience in managing consultants. Experience in the education sector required, experience with GPE at the country level a plus.
- Proficiency in English, both written and verbal, is required for this role. French is desirable but not required.
Skills and Competencies
- Essential to this role is the ability to work collaboratively across teams with excellent teamwork, listening skills, confidence, and soft power to foster productive dynamics. Another critical component will be to enhance practical and timely provision and uptake of the data, in order to live the concept of “learn and adapt.” These approaches will collectively deepen a culture of evidence-based decisions across the partnership. The position requires the following specific skills and competencies.
- Understanding and operationalizing data and monitoring systems and their foundational purposes for management and learning. Demonstrating independence and a focus on quality, while working constructively to engage colleagues in data-informed conversations that support the organizations’ mission and objectives. Understanding of data and evaluations and their uses for learning and strategic change, and their role in organizational functioning and development effectiveness
- Understanding of IT infrastructure required for user interface and analysis of key data, as well as the specifics of grant monitoring structures, processes, and needs in development programs. Understanding of coding systems related to education and cross-cutting themes such as climate change and gender.
- Strong quantitative and qualitative research skills deployed for responding to relevant research questions and practical applications. These skills applied to monitoring, using the monitoring data for agile management and learning. Experience in developing coding, monitoring, and data IT platforms, and using these for analysis, communication, and learning. Knowledge about and familiarity with statistical packages.
- Experience in evaluation work and working collaboratively with colleagues to facilitate the uptake of monitoring and evaluation evidence for strategy and program adaptation.
- A track record of carrying out rapid, real-time analytical work to facilitate short-cycle learning. Demonstrated ability to identify and synthesize actionable evidence for strategy and operational adaptations.
- Experience in working with stakeholders in facilitating learning from evidence.Experience managing consultants
- Communication & Interpersonal Skills – Has experience & success working in multicultural environments. Is confident and speaks constructively to engage colleagues in data-informed conversations that support the organization’s mission. Speaks and writes clearly and effectively, adapting language, tone, style, and message to diverse, multicultural audiences, internally and externally. Is skilled at communicating technical information in succinct and digestible ways. Listens engages in two-way conversations. Maintains productive working relationships with colleagues and holds team members responsible for doing the same. Asks questions for clarification and responds to others appropriately. Learns from others’ ideas and expertise.
- Collaboration & Teamwork – Views the whole of the Secretariat as greater than sum of the parts and works collaboratively with colleagues with shared goals and fostering a productive group dynamics and mindset. Acts as a teammate; steps in to support teammates and colleagues across teams as needed, regardless of organizational boundaries. Recognizes, values, and reinforces the role of each team in delivering on GPE’s mission. Approaches challenges and obstacles as shared challenges to be overcome and leads groups to this outcome. Fosters productive group dynamics and actively seeks and considers diverse ideas and approaches. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when decisions do not reflect own position.
- Adaptability – Models flexibility – responds to changing circumstances by innovating and altering behavior to better fit different situations. Learns new skills, performs work in different ways and coaches team members to do the same. Exerts a calming influence on colleagues and staff in stressful situations. Professionally deals with personal discomfort in a changing work environment and helps others do so.
- Accountability & Results Focus – Engages in productive consultation without losing sight of responsibility for own, and team, decisions, deliverables, and deadlines. Does not let the pursuit of perfection prevent forward progress, in self or on teams. Seeks clarity from colleagues or leadership team when needed; Helps junior staff get needed clarity to move work forward; works within and across teams to remove obstacles and resolve issues. Takes ownership of own mistakes, failures, or oversights, and seeks to correct them; Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team mistakes. Manages differences of opinion to productive resolution so as not to impede progress. Ensures group efforts produce clear actions and decisions and tasks conclude.
- Planning & Organizing – Works well independently and in teams. Develops clear goals aligned to agreed strategies and direction. Plans and prioritizes work effectively, for self and assigned teams Works under pressure and against tight timelines, and still delivers high-quality work. Manages own and team time efficiently, and delegates appropriately. Foresees risks and identifies mitigation strategies and contingencies.
- Diversity and Inclusion- Fosters equity and inclusion in teams, and encourages and supports diverse voices, relationships, networks, and collaborations. Contributes to building an environment of psychological safety, respectful behaviors, and trust to promote a healthy organizational culture.