The African Union Commission is hiring a Monitoring & Evaluation Expert (AfCDC)
The M&E Expert reports directly to the Project Coordinator. S/he serves as the focal point for monitoring and evaluation of the World Bank financed projects, other donor grants and other activities funded by external partners and implemented by Africa CDC
Monitoring & Evaluation Expert (AfCDC)
- Reports to: Project Coordinator
- Directorate/Department/Organ: Africa CDC
- Number of Direct Reports: 0
- Number of Indirect Reports: 0
- Job Grade: P3
- Number of Positions: 1
- Contract Type: Fixed Term
- Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Purpose of the Job
The African Union, established as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’s rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among the peoples of Africa and African States as well as developing a new partnership worldwide. Its Headquarters is located in Addis Ababa, capital city of Ethiopia.
Officially launched in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, in 2017 as a specialized technical institution of the African Union, the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) is Africa’s first continent-wide public health agency. Africa CDC envisions a safer, healthier, integrated, and stronger Africa, where the Member States can effectively respond to outbreaks of infectious diseases and other public health threats. The agency’s mission is to strengthen the capabilities of Africa’s public health institutions and systems to detect and respond quickly and effectively to disease outbreaks and other health burdens through an integrated network of continent-wide surveillance, laboratory, disease control and prevention, preparedness and response, and research programs. To achieve its mission, the Africa CDC works in all geographic regions of the African continent and has instituted technical divisions to focus on five priority areas, namely Surveillance and -Disease Intelligence, Laboratory Systems and Networks, Disease Control and Prevention, Preparedness and Response, and Public Health Institutes and research.
The M&E Expert reports directly to the Project Coordinator. S/he serves as the focal point for monitoring and evaluation of the World Bank financed projects, other donor grants and other activities funded by external partners and implemented by Africa CDC. S/he will be responsible for monitoring and evaluation of the project in accordance with the donor and Africa CDC guidelines and ensure timely reporting to the Africa CDC and the World Bank, for relevant programming. The M&E Expert will be responsible for guiding the monitoring and evaluation strategy and support the follow through of the results framework. S/he will provide support to the implementation of the overall M&E related activities within the project and avail timely and relevant information to the project coordinator and project stakeholders.
Monitoring and Evaluation Strategy
• Develop and implement the AU/Africa CDC’s M&E strategy, including M&E framework, theory of change, log frame and defining indicators and targets, selecting appropriate data collection methods and tools, and designing data management systems in compliance with the donor.
• Work with division staff to ensure that program designs include clear and measurable objectives, outputs, and outcomes, and that M&E systems are integrated into the program implementation.
Data Collection and Management
• Develop and implement data collection and management systems that enable the organization to track progress, measure impact, and learn from its work.
• Ensure that data collection methods and tools are appropriate, efficient, and accurate.
• Ensure that data is regularly collected, analyzed, and reported to program staff, donors, and other stakeholders.
Data Analysis and Reporting
• Analyze M&E data and develop regular reports on program progress, impact, and lessons learned.
• Disseminate M&E findings to program staff, donors, and other stakeholders through various channels.
• Use M&E data to inform program design, implementation, and decision-making.
• Provide technical support to divisions staff on M&E-related issues, including developing logical frameworks, designing surveys and assessments, and conducting data analysis.
• Develop and deliver training to program staff on M&E concepts, tools, and methodologies.
• Conduct regular quality assurance checks on M&E data to ensure accuracy, completeness, and consistency.
• Ensure that M&E systems and tools comply with international best practices, and that data is collected and managed in a secure and ethical manner.
Work Plan Development
• Work with divisions staff to develop budgets for the project activities, including data collection, analysis, and reporting.
• Provide appropriate templates for work planning
• Track the implementation of the activities and tasks in the approved work plan
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
Master’s Degree in monitoring and evaluation, statistics, demographics, public policy, public health, international development, economics, or related field and minimum of seven (7) years of years relevant professional experience, out of which three years need to be at expert level.
• Bachelor’s Degree in monitoring and evaluation, statistics, demographics, public policy, public health, international development, economics, or related field and a minimum of ten (10) years relevant professional experience, out of which three years need to be at expert level..
• Professional certificates in monitoring and evaluation and data analysis
• Membership of a professional body relevant to monitoring and evaluation is an added advantage
• Minimum on seven (7) years and ten (10) years continuous experience for Masters and Bachelor Degree holders respectively, providing monitoring and evaluation systems and other performance measurement support for public health projects, preferably in the public sector domain or in International Non-Governmental Organizations.
• Proven success in designing, implementing, and operating project M&E systems from project initiation to closeout stages.
• Experience in strategic planning and performance measurement, including indicator selection, target setting, reporting, database management, and developing M&E and/performance monitoring plans.
• Experience developing and refining data collection tools.
• Experience performing a variety of conceptual analyses required for the formulation, administration and evaluation of projects.
• Experience with data quality assessments and oversight
• Experience working with AU or the World Bank will be an added advantage