System Development Intern Opportunity at UNDP
The intern will learn how the UNDP VF portfolio database is managed by providing daily, directly supervised by the lead programmer. Strong system programming background, either professionally or educationally, is required.
System Development Intern Opportunity at UNDP
UNDP is the knowledge frontier organization for sustainable development in the UN Development System and serves as the integrator for collective action to realize the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). UNDP’s policy work carried out at HQ, Regional and Country Office levels, forms a contiguous spectrum of deep local knowledge to cutting-edge global perspectives and advocacy. In this context, UNDP invests in the Global Policy Network (GPN), a network of field-based and global technical expertise across a wide range of knowledge domains and in support of the signature solutions and organizational capabilities envisioned in the Strategic Plan.
Within the GPN, the Bureau for Policy and Programme Support (BPPS) has the responsibility for developing all relevant policy and guidance to support the results of UNDP’s Strategic Plan. BPPS staff provide technical advice to Country Offices, advocates for UNDP corporate messages, represent UNDP at multi-stakeholder fora including public-private, government and civil society dialogues, and engage in UN inter-agency coordination in specific thematic areas.
UNDP’s 2022-2025 Strategic Plan highlighting our continued commitment to eradicating poverty, accompanying countries in their pathways towards the SDGs and working towards the Paris Agreement. As part of the Global Policy Network in the Bureau for Policy and Programme Support, UNDP’s Nature, Climate Change, Energy, and Waste (NCE&W) Hubs promote and scale up integrated whole-of-governance approaches and nature-based solutions that reduce poverty and inequalities, strengthen livelihoods and inclusive growth, mitigate conflict, forced migration and displacement, and promote more resilient governance systems that advance linked peace and security agendas.
BPPS’ VF Program Support Oversight & Compliance, together with Hubs, works with governments, civil society, and private sector partners to integrate nature, climate, energy and waste related concerns into national and sector planning and inclusive growth policies, support country obligations under Multilateral Environmental Agreements, and oversee the implementation of the UN’s largest portfolio of in-country programming nature, climate change, energy and waste.
This multi-billion-dollar portfolio encompasses:
- Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services including forests;
- Sustainable Land Management and Desertification including food and commodity systems;
- Water and Ocean Governance including SIDS;
- Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation;
- Sustainable Energy;
- Extractive Industries;
- Chemicals and Waste Management;
- Environmental Governance and Green/Circular Economy; and SCP approaches.
This work advances crosscutting themes on innovative finance, digital transformation, capacity development, human rights, gender equality, health, technology, and South-South learning.
UNDP is at a strategic position to provide this support to countries using evidence-based policy making backed by data. The portfolio of projects overseen by UNDP, with financing from vertical funds, is immense – spanning more than 1,100 active projects across 140 countries. The data generated by these projects is equally immense. The BPPS VF Program Support Oversight & Compliance Unit’s Project Information Management System (PIMS+) gathers project results and progress data from projects underway in 140 countries.
PIMS+ is a comprehensive project cycle management tool designed to support the VF Program Support Oversight & Compliance Unitin providing high-quality oversight services to the vertical funds. Over the upcoming years, the VF Program Support Oversight & ComplianceUnit is committed to improve PIMS+ dashboards for Country Offices and Regional Bureaux, and continue to build the overall system to support effective monitoring of the portfolio of projects to improve oversight, support, and reporting.
PIMS+ is a large-scale custom information system. Following is a summary of the technical stack of the application:
• Consists of three web applications, one REST API Endpoint;
• Built on PHP 8 engine with Yii2 PHP Framework and libraries including PHPOffice, HighCharts, SAML, MapBox, Select2, AutoNumeric, TinyMCE, GuzzleHTTP, SwiftMailer, etc.);
• JS client-side scripting with jQuery;
• HTML, CSS with Bootstrap 3 and BEM (Block Embedding Methodology) SCSS framework;
• MariaDB Database Server – InnoDB Storage Engine, Shared file system storage for documents management;
• Elasticsearch for advanced search function with possible extension towards AI / ML;
• The system runs on 4 virtual servers (Centos 7), resources are managed with Pacemaker CRM;
• Other technologies and tools that require maintenance: Apache HTTPD Web server, Gitlab with CI/CD pipelines, Zabbix monitoring toolkit, Postfix & Dovecot mail components, Redmine.
UNDP is looking for talented, motivated, and enthusiastic intern who will work closely with the PIMS+ team to support VF program support, oversight & compliance, by assisting the VF portfolio management system maintenance and development. The intern will learn how UNDP VF portfolio database is managed by providing daily, directly supervised by the lead programmer. Strong system programming background, either professionally or educationally, is required.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- To support the PIMS+ system development & maintenance
- To support the data quality assurance, especially the external data source from corporate systems, incl. Quantum, Corporate data warehouse
- To assist addressing the hot fix request from PIMS+ users, by supporting the (senior) system programmer
To support the PIMS+ system development & maintenance
The Intern will support to the PIMS+ team in system development that include:
- Provide Milestones/timelines related development to support VF (and additional fund as necessary) operations and analysis.
- Assist new PIMS+ module development/improvement, as requested by Business Owner, and closely cooperate with them from the design to validation and maintenance.
- Support the PIMS system documentation.
To support the data quality assurance, especially the external data source from corporate systems, incl. Quantum, Corporate data warehouse
The Intern will support the integration of corporate portfolio management system that includes:
- Support monitoring and validating the data accuracy between Quantum (Corporate ERP) and PIMS+ (VF oversight support system), and report to the senior programmer data if any issue
- Support the finance data analysis and development.
To assist addressing the hot fix request from PIMS+ users, by supporting the system programmer
The Intern will support addressing the PIMS+ users’ feedback and tracking system issues, includes:
- Investigate and resolve reported user experience issues.
- User interface enhancements and maintenance.
Required Skills and Experience
Applicants to the UNDP internship programme must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher) in fields such as computer sciences, web resources development, web design, programming or other closely related field;
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent) in fields such as computer sciences, web resources development, web design, programming or other closely related field;
- Have graduated with a university degree (as defined above), and, if selected, must start the internship within one-year of graduation.
- Relevant work/voluntary/internship experience in working experience in development of robust Web 2.0 information systems (projects of large scale – database model larger than 200 relational entities, complex role based access control preferred);
- Knowledge of/familiarity with full stack development (frontend design, backend development, SQL, Linux administration) and in software analysis and design, including knowledge of analytical methodologies and approaches such as Use-Case analysis and use of UML. Hands on experience preferred;
- Excellent knowledge of design and implementation of applications on relational database level – excellent knowledge of SQL;
- Knowledge of, and/or prior experience within, the UN system is considered an advantage.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English language are required;
- Knowledge of French is considered an asset.
- The intern will report to the Senior Software Developer.
- The internship will be carried out remotely from the intern’s home-base.