Research Fellow Opportunity at UNDP
Stipend: During the time of the fellowship, UNDP will provide a monthly stipend.
Research Fellow Opportunity at UNDP
FELLOWSHIP OFFICE BACKGROUND:
UNDP Istanbul International Center for Private Sector in Development (ICPSD) has a mandate to leverage the role of the private sector in development. ICPSD was established in Istanbul, Türkiye on the basis of the Partnership Framework Agreement signed between the Government of the Republic of Türkiye and the UNDP in March 2011. The Center advocates and facilitates the contribution of the private sector to human development and inclusive growth through the following thematic priority areas:
• Private Sector Engagement through South-South Cooperation for the SDGs
• Role of the Private Sector in Skills Development
• Impact Investment
• Private Sector Resilience and Crisis Response
Under its impact investment thematic area, ICPSD and the Islamic Development Bank (IsDB) established the Global Islamic Finance and Impact Investing Platform (GIFIIP) in 2016 to position Islamic finance and impact investing as leading enablers of SDG implementation around the world. Bringing together the private sector, governments and key stakeholders operating in the Islamic finance and impact investing markets, the platform aims to promote market-based solutions to sustainable development challenges. It focuses on enabling the private sector, using Islamic finance in tandem with impact investing to achieve SDGs on a global scale.
As part of GIFIIP and the broader Islamic finance portfolio, the Center designs and implements activities to support UNDP Country Offices, partners, and stakeholders from both the public and private sectors. The activities include, but are not limited to, developing Islamic finance backed innovative financing mechanisms, such as microfinancing, credit guarantee funds, Green Sukuk products, as well as designing capacity building activities such as training programmes and awareness raising activities.
Under the guidance and supervision of the ICPSD’s Deputy Director and Islamic Finance Portfolio Lead, the Research Fellow will provide support to research and knowledge management activities of ICPSD in Islamic finance and impact investing. The Research Fellow will conduct research on political, social, and economic trends in the impact investing thematic area of the Center and participate in the formulation, management, and evaluation of knowledge management activities within ICPSD’s mandate to enhance the role of private sector in development.
- Knowledge and a proficient user of Microsoft Office productivity tools.
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems (i.e. ERP, Atlas) is an asset.
- English is required.
- Knowledge of Arabic and/or French is an advantage.
Other competencies and attitude:
- Interest and motivation in working in an international organization;
- Good analytical skills in gathering and consolidating data and research for practical implementation;
- Outgoing, proactive person with a goal-oriented mind-set;
- Communicates effectively when working in teams and independently;
- Good in organizing and structuring various tasks and responsibilities;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Responds positively to feedback and differing points of view;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
Required Skills and Experience
Candidates must meet one of the following educational requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, business administration, Islamic finance, international development, international relations, political science, or related field is required.
- Master’s degree in economics, business administration, Islamic finance, international development, international relations, political science, or related field is an asset.