Project Engineer International Position at UN Women: P3
Experience from similar assignments (as design engineer, supervising engineer, site engineer, construction projects superintendent, construction engineering consultant, etc. is required.
Project Engineer International Position at UN Women: P3
Afghanistan is one of the world’s most complex emergencies, and the world’s largest humanitarian crisis. Afghan people are grappling with the impact of conflict, poverty, economic decline, and natural disasters. In this context, Afghan women and girls face unique vulnerabilities and require urgent support as gender inequality is interwoven with conflict dynamics and humanitarian needs. It is essential that Afghan women and girls can continue to shape the development of their country, and that their gains are protected. UN Women remains fully committed to supporting Afghan women and girls and to putting them at the center of the global response to the crisis in Afghanistan.
UN Women has been in Afghanistan for two decades. UN Women’s programming approach is informed by analysis of the political, economic and humanitarian situation, risks to and capacities of partner organizations, and needs of Afghan women and girls. UN Women Afghanistan currently has four key programme priorities: (1) Gender in Humanitarian Action, (2) Ending Violence Against Women, (3) Women’s Economic Empowerment, and (4) Women, Peace and Security.
Reporting to the Procurement and Administration Specialist, the Project Engineer in the UN Women Afghanistan Country Office will provide technical support to UN Women Afghanistan Country Office on construction of accommodation for UN Women staff in Kabul and sub-offices, renovation of office building and contribute to construction of joint-hard-wall office building in Mazar, and construction or any other maintenance projects for the country office. The Project Engineer works in close collaboration with the operations team, construction company and security team ensuring compliances, effectiveness, transparency, and integrity throughout the full cycle of construction process overseeing all aspects of the procurement of civil works and construction implementing under UN Women Afghanistan Country Office, including monitoring of progress against mutually agreed results frameworks and performance indicators.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provide technical support and oversight related to area of expertise at the different stages of construction projects.
- Provide technical assistance to UN Women construction projects in terms of architectural requirements at contracting, implementation, supervision, and monitoring stages;
- Advise on the national legal requirements and procedures, international standards applicable to various buildings/facilities;
- Coordinate the development and/ or develop Technical Drawings for construction projects approved for construction;
- Coordinate the approval of Technical Drawings by the responsible authorities and the filing of the same.
2. Provide supervision and oversight on UN Women’s Contractors in the relevant area of expertise.
- Ensure that there is effective supervision, monitoring, implementation, and certification of the projects to ensure that the projects are completed to the right quality and standard as per UN Women’s guidelines;
- Ensure that there are effective quality control measures in place for the implementation and monitoring of the projects and that the contractors comply with all architectural specifications and UN Women requirements;
- Monitor contractor presence on the project site, measuring and assessing the work accomplishment as per the scope of work, Bill of Quantities (BOQ) and signed contract. Coordinate the training of the end users of the infrastructure and ensure simplified preventive user manuals are in place;
- Supervise, monitor, and evaluate the performance of contractors working on various work packages by measuring, assessing and appraising the works in terms of architectural requirements;
3. Provide technical support and technical input to the Construction procurement process
- Ensure that all the technical inputs and cost estimates of construction projects and budgets are accurate and provided in a timely manner. Develop specifications/TORs for projects;
- Arrange site visits for assessments, site handover site meetings and stage certifications as and when required;
- Support in all tender processes for the procurement of contractors and professional consultancy services including development of TORs, participating in evaluation, and responding to bidder and procurement approving authority queries;
4. Provide Project Management support to ensure that construction projects are delivered effectively and efficiently
- Identify and manage risks and ensure that timely corrective actions are undertaken to ensure maximum benefit to the client and other stakeholders;
- Oversee the Measurement and Certification of completed construction works, certify disbursement of funds for construction tasks, monitor and report financial status of projects to senior management;
- Assume accountability for the overall progress of the projects and prudent management of resources within each of the Work Packages assigned;
- Monitor the construction budget to ensure that any variations do not exceed the budget allowed in the contract;
5. Facilitate knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the Country Office: Synthesize lessons learned and best practices in projects;
- Contribute substantively to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
6. Perform other job-related duties as requested by supervisor from time to time
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Master’s degree in Civil Engineering or a related field is required
- A first-level university degree in Civil Engineering or a related field in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A project management certification would be an added advantage
- Minimum 5 years (Master’s degree) of relevant experience in civil engineering, including design and construction projects.
- Experience from similar assignments (as design engineer, supervising engineer, site engineer, construction projects superintendent, construction engineering consultant, etc. is required
- Experience in complex multi-stakeholder environments in construction projects is required.
- Experience in the UN system organizations and knowledge of UN Women procedures for tendering and managing construction contracts is desirable.
- Emergency experience is desirable.
- Membership of a professional body is desirable.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Working knowledge of another UN official working language is an asset