Monitoring and Evaluation Officer Vacancy at UNDP
Responsible for implementing and coordinating the day-to-day M&E activities of the project under the direct supervision of the Project Manager.
Monitoring and Evaluation Officer Vacancy at UNDP
UNDP is the frontier organization for sustainable development in the UN Development System and serves as the integrator for actions at regional, national and local levels to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Across Asia and the Pacific, UNDP helps countries formulate and implement their own solutions to address urgent development challenges. It implements the UNDP Strategic Plan (2022-2025) in the region through the Bangkok Regional Hub (BRH), various Country Offices (COs) and the Global Policy Network (GPN) which provides policy and programme advice to ensure alignment of country programmes with regional and global and corporate priorities. Several integrated solutions are identified in the Strategic Plan which include the following:
- Disaster Risk Reduction and Recovery for Building Resilience
- Environment and Energy
- Poverty and Inequality
In the ambit of the above signature solutions, UNDP launched a USD $37.53 million project, approved for funding by the Government of Japan in February 2023. It will support four Pacific Island Countries (Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Timor-Leste, Vanuatu) with a ‘Green Transformation’ of their economies that will reduce reliance on fossil fuels, drive sustainable economic growth and help them cope with the impacts of climate change. The two-year project, titled Promoting Green Transformation in the Pacific Region towards Net-Zero Emissions and Climate-Resilient Development will support investments in clean energy, more efficient management of natural resources and strengthened coping capacity in the face of extreme weather events linked to climate change. UNDP’s multi-country implementation modality will be followed for this project. BRH, together with the four Country Offices in the Pacific region, lead the implementation of the project with strong engagement of the Environment team within the GPN based in BRH.
UNDP’s Environment team within the GPNs leading the implementation of the project. The Environment team works with governments, civil society, and private sector partners to integrate natural capital, environment, and climate concerns into national and sector planning and inclusive growth policies; support country obligations under Multilateral Environmental Agreements; and implement the UN’s largest portfolio of in-country programming on the environment, climate change, and energy. This extensive body of work advances crosscutting themes on innovative finance, digital transformation, capacity development, human rights, gender equality, health, technology, and South-South learning. The Environment team assists partner developing countries to develop and implement projects that combine and sequence resources from a wide range of global environment and climate funds and from bilateral funding windows.
BRH is recruiting for a Monitoring and Evaluation Officer to oversee the monitoring and evaluation aspects of the Pacific Project for Promoting Green Transformation in the Pacific Region towards Net-Zero, and Climate-Resilient Development.. The Officer will work closely with the regional project teams, the COs in the four Pacific Island Countries (PICs), the Environment team, the Climate Strategies and Policies (CSP) team, Regional Programme Management Unit (PMU), and the Global Policy Network.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Monitoring and Evaluation Officer will work under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, Pacific Green Transformation Multi Country Project under the Nature, Climate, Energy and Waste Team at the UNDP Bangkok Regional Hub.
Monitoring of the Project Implementation and Results
- Responsible for implementing and coordinating the day-to-day M&E activities of the project under the direct supervision of the Project Manager
- Develop an M&E plan for the project to ensure effective and efficient implementation of the project and to ensure that activities and outputs result in positive outcomes.
- Develop/update project monitoring tools including forms, questionnaires, checklists etc.
- Undertake regular field trips to the project sites and provide monitoring reports on progress.
- Perform data monitoring and analysis as per Project’s Results Framework having ensured triangulation of qualitative, quantitative and impact-level data and preparing relevant reports.
- Develop/update project dashboard analytical tool, including analysis of the electronic system for gender gaps and provide recommendations for improvements.
- Monitor the overall progress of the project and ensure tracking performance through the collection of appropriate and credible data and other evidence on the achievement of results, including update and maintain Quantum Project and Programme Management module.
- Analyze evidence to inform management decision-making, improve effectiveness and efficiency, and adjust programming as necessary.
- Participate in annual project reviews and planning workshops and assist the Project Manager in preparing relevant reports.
- Prepare and maintain a database to track progress on the project’s indicators and targets.
- Provide input and update information related to the progress of project outcomes.
- Provide inputs in drafting TORs for Baseline, Mid-term, and End-line project evaluation.
- Liaise with international and local evaluators to facilitate mid-term or final evaluations of the project.
- Lead project monitoring and evaluation, including providing technical guidance and support to regional and country teams in the implementation of the monitoring strategy, conducting monitoring visits, consolidating results, and reporting
Analyse and interpret M&E data for reporting
- Compile and analyze monitoring and evaluation data
- Visualize quantitative and qualitative data for reporting purposes
- Provide inputs, information, and statistics for quarterly, annual, and other reports.
- Assist the Project Manager in the preparation of donor reports.
- Address monitoring and evaluation gaps identified by the project evaluator, including working with the project manager to prepare for management responses to the recommendations by the evaluator.
- Liaise with the project team in the four PICs and provide requested inputs for the corporate strategic reports.
Capacity building and knowledge sharing
- Facilitate knowledge building and knowledge sharing on monitoring and evaluation.
- Organize and conduct training on M&E for the project staff of the four PICs if needed.
- Closely work with the project staff of the four PICs and provide support, when necessary, on topics related to M&E.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies:
Business Direction & Strategy
- Systems thinking: Ability to develop effective strategies and prioritized plans in line with UNDP’s objectives, based on the systemic analysis of challenges, potential risks, and opportunities; linking the vision to reality on the ground, and creating tangible solutions; Ability to leverage learning from a variety of sources to anticipate and respond to future trends; to demonstrate foresight in order to model what future developments and possible ways forward look like for UNDP.
- Monitoring: Ability to provide managers and key stakeholders with regular feedback on the consistency or discrepancy between planned and actual activities and program performance and results
- Evaluation: Ability to make an independent judgment based on set criteria and benchmarks -Ability to anticipate client’s upcoming needs and concerns
- Risk management: Ability to identify and organize action around mitigating and proactively managing risks
- Communication: Ability to communicate in a clear, concise, and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience; Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media and other appropriate channels
- Writing and editing: Ability to create and/or edit written content in different UN languages.
Digital & Innovation
- Data analysis: Ability to extract, analyse and visualize data (including Real-Time Data) to form meaningful insights and aid effective decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in development studies, international relations, science, climate, management, economics, engineering, statistics or similar is required, OR
- A first-level university degree (bachelor’s degree) in combination with additional two years of qualifying experience will be given due consideration in lieu of the Master’s degree.
- Minimum 2 years (with Master´s degree) or 4 years (with Bachelor´s degree) of work experience in development programming, design, implementation, and measuring and reporting results, relating to climate, energy, and multiple cross-cutting issues such as gender equity;
- Experience in all aspects of evaluation from initial design, field test, implementation, analysis, communication, and final use of the evaluation findings is an asset.
- Demonstrated ability in monitoring and evaluation and reporting experience is an asset.
- Experience in rendering M&E results using different media and reporting to multiple donors and partners is an asset.
- Proven ICT skills, especially in the development of M&E software using database software.
- Expertise in analyzing data using statistical software.
- Strong training & facilitation skills.
- Experience working across the Pacific, preferably at both national and regional levels is an asset.
- Demonstrated experience working with international organizations is an asset.
- Relevant experience in the field of climate and energy-related project M&E especially with the design and implementation of a monitoring framework would be an asset.
- Experience in the assessment of data quality and analysis of data sets, preferably related to climate, and energy would be an asset.
- Positive, constructive attitude to work
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality, and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Demonstrates integrity and ethical standards
- Fluency of the English language is required, both written and verbal.