Communications Officer Home-Based Position at UNOPS
- A Master’s degree preferably in advocacy, communication, international relations, journalism, law, international development, business management, public administration, public health, social science, or another relevant field is required.
- A Bachelor’s degree will be accepted with an additional 2 years of relevant experience.
Communications Officer Home-Based Position at UNOPS
RBM Partnership to End Malaria
The past fifteen years have seen tremendous gains in reducing the burden of disease and progressing towards malaria elimination. Since 2000, global malaria deaths have been cut by more than half, saving 7 million lives, primarily among children less than five years of age. Expansions in financing, strong political commitments, novel diagnostic and preventative measures, and multi-sectoral coordination have facilitated this progress. Since 1998, RBM Partnership to End Malaria has been central to the global fight against malaria. It has been essential to mobilizing resources and scaling up innovative interventions, putting the world onto a path towards eliminating malaria. The Partnership comprises more than 500 partners committed to end malaria, including malaria endemic countries, their bilateral and multilateral development partners, the private sector, nongovernmental and community-based organizations, foundations, and research and academic institutions.
The RBM Partnership’s Vision is of a world free from the burden of malaria.
The RBM Partnership is based in Geneva and hosted by UNOPS.
The incumbent will work under the guidance and supervision of the Advocacy and Communications Manager, and in close collaboration with the Strategic Communications Partner Committee (SCPC) Manager and the Advocacy Officer, to achieve the core objectives and strategic priorities of the Partnership and the Strategic Communications Partner Committee (SCPC):
The purpose of the SCPC is to develop and implement, in collaboration with the Partnership Management Team, communications to achieve the objectives of the Partnership. The objective of the SCPC is to translate the overarching objectives of the Partnership into specific, aligned and inspirational messages that catalyse action.
The incumbent is expected to be willing and able to travel up to 70% of their time.
- Contribute to the implementation of the Partnership’s communications strategies and annual work plans
- Support an effective network, collaboration, and exchange of information with partners by contributing in the convening of partner committees, workstreams, working groups and other Partnership mechanisms.
- Serve as a communication point of contact for the SCPC, following up on all professional correspondence, responding to requests, and referring queries as appropriate.
- Develop a communications calendar and support of the advocacy and communications team on content creation, event communication and media relations, before, during and after events and specific calendar moments in coordination with the secretariat team and the partner committees
- Maintain and regularly update the RBM website and social media channels, and assist Partner Committees and Working Groups in managing their respective sections.
- Support in promoting the visibility and online presence of the Partnership especially that of the CEO
- Support the social media outreach and engagement, by identifying and engaging with key media personalities, key RBM stakeholder and social media influencers to ensure visibility of RBM on the global scale
- Keep up to date with new and improved communication methodologies and data sharing platforms
- Lead in the development and publication of promotional materials, case studies, collections of stories of change to ensure visibility of RBM Partnership work and impact.
Analysis and Documentation
- Provide research and anaylsis on global health issues affecting the world free from the burden of malaria campaign . in support of the communications strategy
- Undertake background research for communications activities and workshops, and drafts concept notes, reports and other publications.
- Contribute to the documentation of knowledge by proposing examples of best practices and success stories, as well as replicable strategies and approaches, and actively share this knowledge.
- Support in the drafting of opinion pieces and other strategic documents for the CEO
- Support the compilation of Briefing notes for CEO’s engagements
- Draft the ARMPC, SCPC and RBM Secretariat newsletters and blog content
- Develop and update communications related materials on the RBM website and all social media platforms
- Provide input to ARMPC and SCPC integrated budget and work plan monitoring.
- Produce regular updates on SCPC activities and achievements, as well as any other informative/ promotional materials as required.
Partner Committee Coordination Support
- Provide support to Strategic Communications Partner Committee (SCPC), contributing to effective partner engagement, knowledge sharing and coordination.
- Provide comprehensive meeting and event management support for the SCPC activities, workshops, conferences, regular meetings, and other events, including the travel arrangements.
- Support the Advocacy and Communications Manager and the SCPC Manager by preparing briefing materials for appointments, conference calls, meetings and missions, coordinate such requests, take minutes and ensure relevant follow-up actions.
- Effectively manage queries received via the general RBM email address and provide follow-up with relevant colleagues as required,
- With support from Advocacy and Communication Manager, effectively manage RBM social media platforms and quickly responding to comments including media backlash to ensure that RBM messaging is clear
- Manage and coordinate Advocacy and
- Organize Partner Committees’ (PCs) conference calls, write and disseminate meeting minutes.
- Provide on-site and remote support during workshops and events, including taking minutes and supporting logistical coordination.
- Manage the ARMPC and SCPC contacts database and distribution lists, and the broader RBM Secretariat contacts database and distribution lists.
- Perform other related responsibilities as assigned, including replacing and backstopping for others as required
- A Master’s degree preferably in advocacy, communication, international relations, journalism, law, international development, business management, public administration, public health, social science or another relevant field is required.
- A Bachelor’ s degree will be accepted with an additional 2 years of relevant experience.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in communications is required.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, as well as good planning, coordination and analytical skills are required.
- Experience working in or with malaria-endemic countries is an asset.
- Experience in partnerships, international development cooperation, INGOs, operations, consulting, external relations or public affairs is a distinct advantage.
- Experience working in public health, especially on malaria, is desirable.
- Full working knowledge of English is essential.
- Working knowledge of French, Spanish or another official UNOPS language is an asset.
DEADLINE: 04 October 2023
MORE OPPORTUNITIES: UNDP is looking for a Programme Analyst: P2 International Position